[pptp-server] PPTPD Problems

Charlie Brady charlieb at e-smith.com
Mon Jan 28 10:44:47 CST 2002

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002 osiris at urbanna.net wrote:

> Ok, I think I am following you, mind you I have never set one of these up
> and so I am hear to learn, not to teach.
>
> You ARE saying the both ends of the tunnel *may* have the same address and
> that if they don't one is actually *wasting* an address, is that correct?

No, I am not saying that. I am saying that the server end of the tunnel
may use the same IP address as the server's ethernet interface IP address.

Justin is saying that you should not use the same IP address, but should
use some other IP address from the same network as the server's ethernet
interface IP address.

We all agree that the remote end of the tunnel (as seen by the server)
should have a distinct IP address from the same network as the server's
ethernet interface IP address.

For example,

server's ethernet IP address is 192.168.5.1

localip 192.168.5.x # where x may or may not be 1, depending on who you
                    # choose to agree with
remoteip 192.168.5.100-200

Charlie Brady                         charlieb at e-smith.com
Lead Product Developer
Network Server Solutions Group        http://www.e-smith.com/
Mitel Networks Corporation            http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739