[pptp-server] PPTPD Problems

Charlie Brady charlieb at e-smith.com
Mon Jan 28 10:48:31 CST 2002

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002 lists at earthling.2y.net wrote:

> Uhh... No.  This is not a good idea, it will confuse many many
> applications,

Not in my experience, no.

> not to mention just about every routing daemon out there,

The routing daemon will always route using the destination IP address, not
the source IP address, so I do not agree with you that this will be a
problem.

> and freeswan.

Perhaps, but the freeswan developers freely admit that there have been
some problems with their routing code. Perhaps this isn't a problem with
current versions.

> I could probilly take a look into the code, but I'm willing
> to bet that for proxyarp, it only cares about the remote endpoint IP
> address being in the subnet of one of the network cards.

No disagreement there.

> Potentially, you could set the localip to just about any ip, or the same
> ip for all the interfaces, but things will still get confused, and
> freeswan will wine.  Its best, just so your system dosent get confused to
> use seperate addies for every endpoint.

This should not be necessary, and I haven't found it so. YMMV.

Charlie Brady                         charlieb at e-smith.com
Lead Product Developer
Network Server Solutions Group        http://www.e-smith.com/
Mitel Networks Corporation            http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739