[pptp-server] MPPE refused by pppd even when enabled?

Charlie Brady charlieb at e-smith.com
Mon Jan 28 11:03:46 CST 2002

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

> > Hence they are requesting 40bit stateless encryption, with MPPC, and also
> > setting the obsolete D bit in the request.
> >
> > They are also requesting lzs compression, which pppd doesn't do.
>
> Thank you for that very detailled explanation!  Where is this good stuff kept?

That came from draft-ietf-pppext-mppe-05.txt, which you can find via:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=draft-ietf-pppext-mppe-05

There's probably a newer document which says the same thing.

BTW, one of the hits you'll see in the google search is this one:

http://lists.schulte.org/pipermail/pptp-server/2001-April/010282.html

where I posted to the list a patch to correct some incompatibilities
between the PoPToP implementation of mppe and the protocol specification,
specifically related to stateful encryption mode. I'm still waiting for
anyone to agree or disagree with me that there is a problem, and this
patch fixes this problem. And this change hasn't been merged with the mppe
patches that are being used.

Charlie Brady                         charlieb at e-smith.com
Lead Product Developer
Network Server Solutions Group        http://www.e-smith.com/
Mitel Networks Corporation            http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739