[pptp-server] This is new to me

R. de Vroede r.devroede at linvision.com
Sat Jul 13 06:24:38 CDT 2002

 From the hotplug website:
Starting with kernel 2.4 (in January 2001), hotplugging is a standard
feature of GNU/Linux. Its goal is letting you plug in new devices and use
them immediately. That means that users won't need to learn so much system
administration; systems will at least partially autoconfigure themselves.
Initially, hotplug included support for USB and PCI (Cardbus) devices, and
could automatically configure some common network interfaces. Updated
versions include IEEE 1394 (Firewire/i.Link) support and can download
firmware to USB devices that need it. On mainframes, S/390 channel devices
uses hotplugging to report device attach and other state change events. For
laptops, newer kernels also include support for reporting docking station
activity.

Upcoming work will likely involve integration with other Linux subsystems
such as input, pcmcia_cs, disk/storage (starting with SCSI), networking,
printing, power management such as APM and ACPI, and more. Kernel 2.5 work
will improve autoconfiguration support for Linux, likely including more
unified support for stable device names and user mode device management tools.

Basic hotplug support is included in current RedHat and Debian
distributions of GNU/Linux. Newer SuSE distributions will be converting
from "usbmgr" (for USB) to hotplugging.
So it's not just for USB.
Also from the website:
Note that Linux does not currently have a unified model for initializing
network devices. In particular, some interface types (such as Ethernet
devices) are registered before they are configured, while others (such as
PPP devices) effectively do it the other way around. This means that the
network agent needs to avoid doing anything for PPP (and similar) style
devices. Only name-based heuristics are available to distinguish these cases.

Their website for more info on the subject:
http://linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net/

Hope this helps you get on the way.

Regards,
Richard