[pptp-server] Win 2K/XP - mppe-40 works, mppe-128 doesn't

Josh Howlett Josh.Howlett at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Jun 13 08:14:27 CDT 2002

Hi all,

My problem is that under Windows 2K or XP, MPPE @ 128 bits does not
work correctly.  The link goes "up" but the encryption appears to fail
in some way.  I get the following in my logs:

pppd[5312]: Unsupported protocol 0x3a20 received
pppd[5312]: Unsupported protocol 0x8719 received
pppd[5312]: Unsupported protocol 0x3dc received

etc.

If I *don't* specify "Require data encryption (disconnect if none)" in
the connection properties, then the link is negotiated at 40 bits
MPPE and works fine.

It works fine under Windows 98.

Any ideas?

TIA, josh.

Josh Howlett, Networking & Digital Communications,
Information Systems & Computing, University of Bristol, U.K.
'phone: 0117 928 7850 email: josh.howlett at bris.ac.uk