[pptp-server] Win 2K/XP - mppe-40 works, mppe-128 doesn't

R. de Vroede r.devroede at linvision.com
Thu Jun 13 08:30:36 CDT 2002

DON'T use both 40 & 128 bits! It causes weird behaviour.

Win98 works because that one allways uses 40-bits, UNLESS you install
MSDun-1.4.

More info would be nifty:
OS, versions of pptpd, ppp, kernel, Patches applied, etc.
Dump of both /etc/pptpd.conf and /etc/ppp/options(.pptp[d])

Regards,
Richard

On Thu, 2002-06-13 at 15:14, Josh Howlett wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My problem is that under Windows 2K or XP, MPPE @ 128 bits does not
> work correctly.  The link goes "up" but the encryption appears to fail
> in some way.  I get the following in my logs:
>
> pppd[5312]: Unsupported protocol 0x3a20 received
> pppd[5312]: Unsupported protocol 0x8719 received
> pppd[5312]: Unsupported protocol 0x3dc received
>
> etc.
>
> If I *don't* specify "Require data encryption (disconnect if none)" in
> the connection properties, then the link is negotiated at 40 bits
> MPPE and works fine.
>
> It works fine under Windows 98.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> TIA, josh.

Richard de Vroede
(r.devroede at linvision.com)
Linvision BV         Provides Linux Solutions
Elektronicaweg 16D
2628 XG Delft
T: +31157502310      info at linvision.com
F: +31157502319      http://devel.linvision.com