RES: [pptp-server] Is PoPToP dead?

James Cameron cameron at fax.sno.cpqcorp.net
Mon Mar 18 17:30:08 CST 2002

Allan Clark wrote:
> OK, if you can answer me one thing:
> On sourceforge, where is the button to say "remove my project"?

Yes, that lack of control is distasteful.  It prevents me putting my
personal projects there.

It seems reasonable that to prevent data loss, and to encourage
continued use of the service, that project removal is a support
request.  Compaq has been able to delete projects in order to rename
them.  I do not recall being able to remove one.

> As I recall, there's no way to move it *off* sourceforge if their
> policies continue to move towards the commercial side of things.

Yes, that is certainly a risk.  In the Netrek serve project, we have
maintained our CVS tree and web site separate to SourceForge at my
recommendation.  But Netrek is in maintenance mode, and pptpclient is
more recent.  The needs of the projects differ.

The pptpclient project on SourceForge is sponsored by Compaq.  That may
have involved a contract ... I cannot say myself, because I do not know.

--
James Cameron                                 (james.cameron at compaq.com)

http://www.linux.org/ http://www.linux.org.au/ http://www.freshmeat.net/