RES: [pptp-server] Is PoPToP dead? (Plus addins from PPTP-Client)

Chris Tooley ctooley at amoa.org
Mon Mar 18 19:47:51 CST 2002

On Tue, 2002-03-19 at 01:29, James Cameron wrote:
> Chris Tooley wrote:
> > Since you seem to be compaqadm at the pptpclient.sourceforge.net (if I'm
> > wrong, I apologize)
>
> I'm quozl.
>
> > I'd like to give writing a HOWTO for a more recent version of RedHat
> > (specifically 7.2) a try.
>
> Great!  I am maintaining the http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/ content.
>
> The current Red Hat 7.2 workaround on the pptpclient-devel mailing list
> is to rebuild the RPM from source before installing it.
>
> Are you on the mailing list?  If not, please join.
>
> > Only I don't want to use ppp 2.4.0, I want to use the 2.4.1 that came
> > with redhat.  Any pointers on getting the 2.4.1 stuff in CVS to compile
> > right?  I can't even seem to get it downloaded to start compiling it.
>
> I'm still struggling through this myself.  My procedure for building
> from CVS looks like this;
>
> use CVS to checkout the scripts directory from SourceForge
> cd scripts
> ./mkdist-ppp-mppe ppp=2.4.1 ssl=0.9.6
> tar xvfz ppp-mppe-2.4.1-rc1.tar.gz
> cd ppp-mppe-2.4.1-rc1/
> cp ppp-2.4.1.tar.gz openssl-mppe-0.9.6.tar.gz ppp-2.4.1-mppe.patch \
> mppe-kernel-modules-i386.tar.gz mppe-kernel.tar.gz \
> ppp-2.4.1-mppe.patch openssl-0.9.6-mppe.patch /usr/src/rpm/SOURCES/
> rpm -ba ppp-mppe.spec

Or it appears that there is a better way:

	wget
http://mirror.binarix.com/ppp-mppe/kernel-source-2.4.9-31mppe.i386.rpm

Configure kernel (for me this means applying XFS patches, which I forgot
and I installed the kernel-2.4.9-31mppe.i386.rpm, only to find out that
it overwrote my working kernel with a kernel that couldn't mount my XFS
partitions, and so my laptop no booty no more.) and compile.

wget http://mirror.binarix.com/ppp-mppe/ppp-2.4.1-3mppe.i386.rpm
rpm -Uvh ppp-2.4.1-3mppe.i386.rpm

To install poptop:

wget http://mirror.binarix.com/ppp-mppe/pptpd-1.1.2-2.i386.rpm
rpm -Uvh pptpd-1.1.2-2.i386.rpm

To install pptp-client:
Build pptp-client as per your instructions and go to town.

Maybe there should really be some collaboration going on between these
three projects/sites/entities (poptop, pptp-client, ppp-mppe at
Binarix).  They seem to fit together so snugly and yet are impossible to
put together without monthes of research and effort. :)