[pptp-server] Total frustration - help pls!

Örjan Johansson orjan at whyevenbother.com
Tue Mar 19 13:49:04 CST 2002

OK, I must admit I'm probably a total moron, but here's my problem:

I've been using Linux for quite some time for routing and firewalling,
so when it's time to start messing with VPN's I thought I'd just look
around the net to find the answers and just go nuts - guess this was
tougher than that...

I have a Redhat 7.2 with a 2.4.9-31 kernel. I've patched and recompiled
the kernel with the openssl patch. I've patched the pppd-2.4.1 sources
and installed those. Also installed the latest poptop. Now comes the
questions - stupid or not:

* After installing everything I notice there's no /etc/pptpd.conf file.
I created it myself instead. Did my install fail, or is that as it
should be?

* Does pptpd make use, and start, pppd or should pppd be started also?
Good scripts to autostart these?

* Any comprehensive docs out there? I noticed poptop seems to be moving
to sourceforge, and I can't find any docs.

* Anyone else out there who's gone through this recently? I want to set
up a server that accepts Win2k pptp clients, but would also like to try
out connecting two networks through two linux boxes.

Any hints, ideas desperately welcome! Any archives out there where I can
find similar questions and their answers? And go easy on me please....

TIA,
Orjan