[pptp-server] Getting there a step at a time

Steve Rhodes srhodes at amll.com
Fri Aug 6 08:59:54 CDT 1999

Michael,

I am away from my machines, so I don't have exact reference, but it sounds like
you forgot to compile the modules after building the pppd with mppe encryption.
In your lib/modules subdir there should be an object file called ppp_mppe.o, as
well as ppp_deflate.o and bsd_comp.o.  These correspond to the ppp-compress-xx
messages.  The biggest one here is ppp-compress-18 which is ppp_mppe.  If you
run the command insmod ppp_mppe, and it succeeds, this message should go away.
If it fails, you forgot to install the module.

This can happen unexpectedly, because there are a couple of tricks to get it
in.  When you build pppd-2.3.8, you have to go into the pppd-2.3.8/linux subdir
and run a command ./kinstall.sh.  This patches the kernel modules so ppp_mppe
will build.  You then have to go over to the kernel source at /usr/src/linux and
run make modules, then make modules_install.  This should put the ppp_mppe.o
file into lib/modules.

You can then edit the conf.modules file and add alias ppp-compress-18 ppp_mppe.
This will auto load the encryption stuff.  There are entries that will also get
the other two, but I can't recall which is which.  One of them will get two
ppp-compress-xx messages to go away.

Regards,

Steve Rhodes