[pptp-server] Re: Numerous Questions (IPX and pptpd.conf)

Jason Desai jase at sensis.com
Fri Aug 20 08:24:11 CDT 1999

(Sorry if this has been answered already.  I only check the archives every
so often.)

> I have read that one daemon called
> ipxd will handle routing between all networks on a system, but I
> have been unable to find this package.  Does anyone know where I
> can find it?

ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/filesystems/ncpfs/ipxripd-0.7.tgz

> Has anyone been able to set up a ipx network using
> PoPToP?

Yes.  I've been able to log into a Netware server, but it is so slow over
a dialup!

> Next Question:
> What "device" does PoPToP use to connect with.  When configuring PPPd
> (with a pool of modems), you use files such as "options.ttyS1" to assign
> IPX addresses to incoming calls.  However, with PoPToP, I can't figure
> out what I should name the files.  Currently, I put my IPX configuration
> info in the "options" file, but this won't allow more than one client to
> connect.  How do I specify a pool of IPX node and IPX addresses to give
> out to connecting clients?

On my debian box, the ppp with PoPToP connections are made on device
/dev/ttypX.  So, I set up IPX specific configuration in files named
options.ttyp0, options.ttyp1, ... options.ttypf.  If you look in your log
file, you should see which device is being used for the ppp connection.

Hope this helps.

If you reply to this, please cc me too, as I'm not subscribed to this
list.  Thanks.

Jason