[pptp-server] Tunnelling SMB

tmk tmk at netmagic.net
Wed Dec 1 18:32:25 CST 1999

> I think I need some advice here.
> I'm trying to tunnel NetBIOS in to a private network.
> Current setup is:
>

> msclient -> internet -> firewall -> internal net

> Firewall has a real world address and an internal address bound to the
NIC.
> Its running pptpd, and clients connect successfully.
> Now what I want to do is allow the clients access to the internal
network - all
> NetBIOS over TCP/IP. File and print is done with Samba.

> Is this just a masquerading issue on the firewall, or do I need to run the
> pptp daemon on the internal file server and masq to it.

What you might need is proxy arp set up for the pptp connections.

you haven't said what the problem is, but i'm guessing that browsing doesn't
work. Try connecting to the shares using their ip addresses (ie
\\123.56.78.90\sharename from the start->run menu). If that works, then
everything is working except name resolution, and you should tell the
clients to use the dns or wins server within the private network to get
their names from. If you aren't running a nameserver for some reason (you
should be) then you CAN do the dirty fix by using a lmhosts file and naming
all the computers in that, but i wouldnt recommend it.

There should be NO masquerading at all. That is a totally seperate thing. If
the fileservers are on a different subnet than the firewall, then the
clients may need to be given routing information.

Kevin