[pptp-server] Re: [pptp-server] PTY??

David Luyer luyer at ucs.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jul 1 00:54:46 CDT 1999

> The documentation says that I need to make sure my kernel is compiled with
> PTY support.  What is PTY support and what options in the kernel do I need
> to modify.  I'm using the kernel that came with RedHat-6.0 - do I need to
> change the config and recompile or is there a system configuration I need
> to worry about?

No.  Almost all kernels will have PTY support unless you've deliberately
removed it, so don't worry.

> Also, after running pptpd and monitoring its log file and seeing that it
> failed to open ttyp1 - I chmod +rw /dev/ttyp[0-9] and it seemed to work
> somewhat.  But, after I rebooted, I had to do this again.  Is this normal?

pptpd should be running as root (unless you have a system with a setuid
openpty() helper, which isn't very common).  If it fails to open a pty/tty
pair as root then that is probably because it is in use.

Other programs which use pty/tty's will change their permissions back to
the standard ones.

David.