[pptp-server] compiling with RC4, and openssl (easy fix for a guru)

Toktar, Emir EMIR.TOKTAR at bra.xerox.com
Mon Oct 18 14:43:56 CDT 1999

Geoff

It isen´t necessary modify any source code. Probally you´re using
OpenSSL-0.9.1c or OpenSSL-0.9.4.
If you use SSLeay-0.6.6b forget the information below.
2. edit both "ppp_mppe.c" files and add the following line at the end
     of the set of #include lines at the top of the file...
           #include "rc4_skey.c"

I modifyed any procedures below.

Now I installed without problems with a bit modifications describe
below from HOWTOFAQ PoPToP source.

Thanks

Emir Toktar

Procedures that I used for comments.

begin------------------------------
(+) lines that I add ....
end------------------------------

(-) lines that I cut ....

(hosted by Christopher Schulte) by Matthew Ramsay. Large contributions from
Steve Rhodes and Michael Walter.

+++++++++++++++++++++

3.0 PPP (and MSCHAP/MPPE) Installation
--------------------------------------
It is only necessary to use PPP 2.3.8 if you want Microsoft compatible
MSCHAPv2/MPPE authentication and encryption. The reason for this is that
the MSCHAPv2/MPPE patch currently supplied (19990813) is against PPP 2.3.8.
If you don't need Microsoft compatible authentication/encryption any 2.3.x
PPP source will be fine.

Assuming you want Microsoft compatible authentication/encryption follow
these steps:

Note: [] are example commands to run

1. Grab yourself a clean copy of the PPP deamon v2.3.8 (ppp-2.3.8.tar.gz).
 I usually go here for my PPP files: ftp://cs.anu.edu.au/pub/software/ppp/
 Note: You must get the tarball (tar.gz) and *not* the RPM.

2. Grab youself the MSCHAP/MPPE diff file from:

http://www.moretonbay.com/vpn/releases/ppp-2.3.8-mppe-others-norc4_TH7.diff.
gz

3. Grab yourself the SSLeay-0.6.6b file from:
 ftp://ftp.psy.uq.oz.au/pub/Crypto/SSL/SSLeay-0.6.6b.tar.gz

4. You should now have 3 files:
  ppp-2.3.8.tar.gz
  ppp-2.3.8-mppe-others-norc4_TH7.diff.gz
  SSLeay-0.6.6b.tar.gz
begin-------------------------------------------
(+) ppp-2.3.8-patch1  ==>correction for IPX/SPX
end---------------------------------------------

 Copy these files to your preferred location (I prefer /usr/local/src/)

begin-----------------------------
 I uninstall previus ppp
(+) rpm -e ppp-2.3.7-2
end--------------------------------

5. Assuming your files are in /usr/local/src/ and your current working
 directory is also /usr/local/src/ do the following:
  [tar zxvf ppp-2.3.8.tar.gz]
  [gunzip ppp-2.3.8-mppe-others-norc4_TH7.diff.gz]

begin----------------------------
 it's not gunzip... [gunzip ppp-2.3.8-mppe-others-norc4_TH7.diff.gz]
end----------------------------

  [tar zxvf SSLeay-0.6.6b.tar.gz]
  [cp SSLeay-0.6.6b/crypto/rc4/rc4.h ppp-2.3.8/linux/]
  [cp SSLeay-0.6.6b/crypto/rc4/rc4_enc.c ppp-2.3.8/linux/]

begin------------------------------
(+) [cp SSLeay-0.6.6b/crypto/rc4/rc4.h  /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/]
(+) [cp SSLeay-0.6.6b/crypto/rc4/rc4_enc.c /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/]
(+) [cp ppp-2.3.8-patch1  ppp-2.3.8/pppd]
(+) [cd ppp-2.3.8/pppd]
(+) [patch -p0 < ppp-2.3.8-patch1]
(+) [cd /usr/local/src/]
end------------------------------
    [patch -p0 < ppp-2.3.8-mppe-others-norc4_TH7.diff]
    [cd ppp-2.3.8]

6. The files should now all be in place and we are ready to compile PPP.
 Follow these steps to compile it:
  [./configure]

begin--------------------------------------------------------------
(+)  [make kernel]  --> reference ppp-2.3.8
it isen't necessary following lines below described in HOWTOFAQ...
end----------------------------------------------------------------

(-)  [cd linux]
(-)  [./kinstall.sh]
(-)  [cd ..]

begin-----(if kernel < 2.2.8)---------
Build the kernel when < Kernel 2.2.8
     [cd /usr/src/linux/]
     [make menuconfig .....if necessary ...]
     [make dep]
     [make clean]
     [make bzImage]
end---------------------------------

  [make]
  [cp pppd/pppd /usr/sbin/]

begin------------------------------
(+) [make install]  --> reference ppp-2.3.8
end------------------------------

  [cd /usr/src/linux]
  [make modules SUBDIRS=drivers/net]
  [make modules_install]