[pptp-server] seperate configurations connecting....

Russell Dill Russell.Dill at asu.edu
Fri Sep 3 00:51:28 CDT 1999

What if you need different types and classes of clients connecting --

ie -- client A is a win98 machine and needs proxyarp access to network X

    -- client B is a linux box with a network of its own, when this box
connects, routes to its network need to be added and vice-versa (ie
client b is 10.10.5.x and server is 10.2.0.x)

   -- client C is a win98 client and should only have access to the
linux server.

from what I see, you would need to set up the pptp.conf with different
sections for different users, you would probably need to do a bit of
hacking to pppd so that is can be made to use different directories (ie,
/etc/ppp.clienta, /etc/ppp.clientb, /etc/ppp.clientc) so that different
ip-up/down, ppp.conf, chap-secrets, etc files can be used for different
users..this becomes even more important if the system dials up to the
internet using ppp, or allows clients dial up and use ppp.

I took a quick look at pppd,and it doesn't look that difficult...the
paths header file could be modified to contain a global variable that is
set to the path name. I have no clue what would have to be done to pptp.

--Russ