[pptp-server] Re: problem with 0_9_14.tgz

Allan Clark allanc at sco.com
Fri Sep 10 13:23:29 CDT 1999

I think I mentioned that the download from that server is identified with the MIME
type of text/plain, which Netscape treats as text, silently replacing EOLn markers
from/to MSDos format and Unix format.

> bash-2.01$ telnet www.moretonbay.com 80
> Trying 209.162.4.87...
> Connected to www.moretonbay.com.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> HEAD /vpn/releases/pptpd-0.9.16.tgz HTTP/1.0
>
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 18:11:05 GMT
> Server: Apache/1.3.1 (Unix)
> Last-Modified: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 23:08:11 GMT
> ETag: "81ed-1b400-37d83ddb"
> Accept-Ranges: bytes
>
> Connection closed by foreign host.

What this ("Content-Type: text/plain") requires to fix is that the file ext "tgz"
be registered as "application/x-gzipped-tar" or something non-standard which will
cause Netscape to download it without touching it (yes, you have 0.9.14, I tried
0.9.16).  If I recall, on Apache you can do this with a modification to the
conf/httpd.conf file with:

AddType application/x-gzipped-tar TGZ

( http://www.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_mime.html#addtype refers )

This can also be resolved with an FTP download URL -- completely avoids the issue.

FYC

Allan