[pptp-server] Arp Problems? (no data transfer to other hosts on servers subnet)

Matt Stockdale matts at ilx.com
Fri Sep 10 14:36:03 CDT 1999

I downloaded and installed the latest version of poptop on one of my
internet gateway machines. I am trying to connect to it from home.. I
have an interesting situation where I am attempting to use the MS VPN
client to actually get _out_ of a protected network. I have a RH linux
5.2 box at home that
connects to work via ISDN. I have a Win98 box connected to my home linux
box via ethernet. I have the VPN masq patches in place on the linux box.
I places the PPTP server on a dual homed machine that has access to both
our internal network (reserved addresses 172.27.0.0) and our internet
feed. The VPN client connects fine, and the PPTP server (masq) can ping
it, accept telnets from it, etc, just fine.
the problem is, once I connect the VPN client on my windows box I can't
connect to anything else but masq.

I have tried having the PPTP server assign both it's own internet
address and a spare internet address, and a 2nd spare internet address
is assigned to the VPN client. logging into our internet router, I
cannot ping the VPN IP, but it does show up w/ the same MAC address as
the PPTP host when I do a "show arp"..

ip_forwarding and proxy_arp is enabled for _all_ interfaces on the PPTP
host.

I can't seem to find any errors, other that it just plain not working.

+----------+             +----------+
+-----------+             +-------------+
| Win98    |             |RH 5.2    |               |ISDN
Server|             |PPTP Server  |

connects to		ISDN working                this is actually		can ping VPN
pptp server					    the whole internernal	client
fine						    network

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt