[pptp-server] speed issues and ppp.c compile problems

Jose M. Sanchez opjose at ex-pressnet.com
Tue Aug 1 17:24:22 CDT 2000

This might be a fragmentation problem.

PPTP needs to encapsulate the entire PPP TCP/IP packet WITHIN another IP
packet.

The problem is that the "inner" packet does not "fit".

In your PPTP options file (make sure that you are getting the right one, it
does no good for you to modify your PPP options file to connect to your
ISP!) reduce the size of the MTU & MRU values...

I.E.

mru 1400
mtu 1400

Smaller still if you are using encryption...

That said, note that the PPTP speed will indeed be SLOWER than your normal
connection rate.

I've recently read a few discussions which indicated that the maximum speed
is approximately 1/2 your bandwidth speed if encryption is enabled.

Post your results.

Cheers.

-JMS