[pptp-server] speed issues and ppp.c compile problems

Mike Edwards medwards at ega.com
Thu Aug 3 15:02:39 CDT 2000

OK, I'm playing with the packet size settings a bit, and I think I'm
seeing an improvement.  As to posting my results, I will gladly do so
but am not sure how to quantify the speed of the connection.  I suppose
I could log pings (remote to node through VPN and back), but would that
be enough?

BTW, why would one NOT want to use encryption?  Doesn't that help ensure
the P in VPN?

Thanks for everybody's input!

Mike

"Jose M. Sanchez" wrote:

> This might be a fragmentation problem.
>
> PPTP needs to encapsulate the entire PPP TCP/IP packet WITHIN another IP
> packet.
>
> The problem is that the "inner" packet does not "fit".
>
> In your PPTP options file (make sure that you are getting the right one, it
> does no good for you to modify your PPP options file to connect to your
> ISP!) reduce the size of the MTU & MRU values...
>
> I.E.
>
> mru 1400
> mtu 1400
>
> Smaller still if you are using encryption...
>
> That said, note that the PPTP speed will indeed be SLOWER than your normal
> connection rate.
>
> I've recently read a few discussions which indicated that the maximum speed
> is approximately 1/2 your bandwidth speed if encryption is enabled.
>
> Post your results.
>
> Cheers.
>
> -JMS

Mike Edwards, MIS