[pptp-server] speed issues and ppp.c compile problems

Jose M. Sanchez opjose at ex-pressnet.com
Thu Aug 3 18:46:42 CDT 2000

|-----Original Message-----

Heh, what I meant was to post what happens to the list so that everyone can
see if this worked or not.

|BTW, why would one NOT want to use encryption?  Doesn't that help ensure
|the P in VPN?

Yes, but if you are not concerned about what is being transmitted, you get a
performance increase.

Frankly I believe that at times people are a little too concerned about the
"p". After all, who cares about XYZ's companies financials.

I use VPN for remote access sessions. I'm not exactly worried about someone
looking over my shoulder. There is not a lot of valuable info that they
would get.... but your results may vary...

Good luck.

-JMS

|"Jose M. Sanchez" wrote:

|> This might be a fragmentation problem.
|>
|> PPTP needs to encapsulate the entire PPP TCP/IP packet WITHIN another IP
|> packet.
|>
|> The problem is that the "inner" packet does not "fit".
|>
|> In your PPTP options file (make sure that you are getting the
|right one, it
|> does no good for you to modify your PPP options file to connect to your
|> ISP!) reduce the size of the MTU & MRU values...
|>
|> I.E.
|>
|> mru 1400
|> mtu 1400
|>
|> Smaller still if you are using encryption...
|>
|> That said, note that the PPTP speed will indeed be SLOWER than
|your normal
|> connection rate.
|>
|> I've recently read a few discussions which indicated that the
|maximum speed
|> is approximately 1/2 your bandwidth speed if encryption is enabled.
|>
|> Post your results.
|>
|> Cheers.
|>
|> -JMS

|> |
|> |
|> |Hi!
|> |
|> |After successfully installing pptp and friends on a 486-66 box, we found
|> |that the VPN established was so slow as to be unusable--even with a T1
|> |connection on the server side and a cable modem (600+Kbps downstream,
|> |128+Kbps upstream) on the client side.  My first question then is, What
|> |are the minimum hardware requirements for the PoPToP Server?  I should
|> |add that our main goal is to run a client application over the VPN.
|> |(The software is a print-management system for the commercial printing
|> |industry running on an NT box with MS SQL Server.  The NT pptp server
|> |wouldn't work at all and, besides, it's Not Scottish!)
|> |
|> |I am already trying to re-install on a P133 box, but have run into
|> |compilation problems.  I am using a stock Red Hat 2.2.14 kernel and
|> |tarballs of OpenSSL 0.9.5 and ppp-2.3.11.  I applied the appropriate
|> |ppp/openssl/mppe patch before compiling, but when I ran "make modules"
|> |it bombed out on the ppp.c compile, giving errors to the effect of
|> |"static declaration for X follows non-static" where X is
|> |ppp_register_compressor and ppp_unregister_compressor.  Did I miss a
|> |patch somewhere or must I be running a 2.2.16 kernel?
|> |
|> |Thanks in advance!
|> |Mike
|> |