[pptp-server] Can I see the network from the PPTP Client PC ??

Fernando Ruza fruza at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 15 08:56:42 CST 2000

Yes, I forgot to say that I already had a Samba server in the FW & PPTP
server box. I have configured that Samba server as a WINS server and I have
written its IP address in the options.pptp file (ms-wins 192.168.1.1)
however, I'm not able to get the browse list from the samba server yet.

I don't know what happens. I have assigned a static IP address to the PPTP
client with the chap-secret file and I have configured the samba server
following the rules in the SMB-Howto ("Using Samba Across Routed Networks")
and BROWSING.txt file of samba documentation (right now I'm reviewed again
the BROWSING.txt file to see if I forgot something)

I think everything is ok, however I cannot browse the PCs in the VPN
network. I'm not using encryption password and the rules of the FW are very
simple allowing everything (for now).

The PPTP Client PC is a Windows'95 with Service Pack 1 and the packages for
VPN. It also receives well the IP of the WINS server.

I use the following versions in the Linux PPTP Server:
pptpd-1.0.0-1
ppp-2.3.10-1
kernel-2.2.12-20
samba-2.0.5a-12

My options.pptp file is the following:

-------------- options.pptp --------------------
debug
name axilin
mru 1450
mtu 1450
auth
require-chap
proxyarp
+chap

# Para ver los demas ordenadores de la red con Samba
ms-wins 192.168.1.1

and my smb.conf file is:

-------------- smb.conf --------------------
workgroup = VPN
server string = Samba Server
hosts allow = 192.162.1. 127.
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 50
security = share
remote browse sync = 192.168.1.255
remote announce = 192.168.1.255
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
wins support = yes
dns proxy = yes
unix password sync = no
comment = linux box (Red Hat 6.1)
encrypt passwords = yes
map to guest = never
password level = 0
null passwords = no
os level = 0
preferred master = no
domain master = no
wins support = no
dead time = 0
debug level = 1

#===== Share Definitions =======
[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    writable = yes

[tmp]
    comment = Temporary file space
    path = /tmp
    read only = no
    public = yes

In the firewall I accept all the policies and I just have masquerading to
access internet from the intranet office network and this works fine.

Thanks in advanced for any help !!

Best regards to everybody,

Fernando Ruza