[pptp-server] VPN for WinBlows-

Jose M. Sanchez opjose at ex-pressnet.com
Tue Jul 11 22:36:28 CDT 2000

|-----Original Message-----

I've played with this a bit and the only time I'm able to get the remote to
read the browse list if it becomes a member on the host domain.

This is a little strange, as under normal circumstances the foreign host
does display the other workgroups... under PoPToP however it does not.

Syncronizing WINS servers thru a VPN pipe could solve this, but it's a
workaround to a problem. Not really a fix...

| I used two
|different wins servers on different subnets and had all clients use them.
|Played around with browse master and domain master settings on my
|Linux boxes.

Yeah this would work fine...

|I didn't just make up how to do it though, I read John D. Blair's
|"Integrating Unix and Windows."  I learned more about windows networking in
|that book than in any mcse class.

Yes and excellent book. Ironic that it's sometimes easier to learn Microsoft
Tech via Linux... heh...

|In any case, I believe I could make it work
|with PPTP if
|someone paid me to.  Don't get me wrong, it may but will most
|likely not be a
|walk in and walk out job, heck I sold the project described up
|above before I
|knew how to do it.  Then again I could just be lucky......

Ah... ok the impression I had was that you had some magical fix to the
PoPToP/ppp code that took care of browsing.

Thanks.

-JMS