[pptp-server] PPTP server w/ Netopia & static IP

stephene at sungro.com stephene at sungro.com
Mon Jul 24 01:07:50 CDT 2000

We have several satellite offices connecting to our network using PPTP
from Netopia ethernet routers via DSL. They have
a built in PPTP client.  They connect without a problem, but as of yet I
haven't figured out how to get the ip address on the server side to
remain constant after a disconnect/reconnect.  There is a setting on the
Netopia for the "remote ip address"( i.e. the address on the server
side), but the linux pptp server seems to happily ignore this, and will
pull the lowest unused ip from the pool in the pptpd.conf file, or it
will use
192.168.0.x if I don't specify a pool (don't know where that number came
from?!).  It also seems to ignore the address specified in the
chap-secrets file under the local username.  The IP address on the linux
pptp server interface should be 192.168.2.131:

Here are my files:

/etc/pptpd.conf:

speed 115200
remoteip 10.10.83.1,10.10.84.1,10.10.85.1   #      The pptp server uses
the correct remote ip, no problem here
#    no local ip pool specified, it is expected that the server will use
the ip address from the netopia setting
#    (it doesn't)

chap-secrets:

calgary * password    10.10.84.1           #  This is the remote IP
address for our remote site in Calgary
foodlion * drowssap    192.168.2.131    #   This is what the server
foodlion should be using as it's local ip
#    (it doesn't)

ofcourse I have the following in /etc/ppp/options if I am not using a
pool:
ipcp-accept-local
ipcp-accept-remote

Anyone had any success with these netopia's?

thanks,

Stephen Eastman