[pptp-server] IP Addressing question

Scott M. Stone sstone at taos.com
Thu Jun 8 19:43:06 CDT 2000

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Derek Simkowiak wrote:

> 	This is a simple question, but I want to make sure I understand
> things right...
>
> 	Given the following situation:
>
> 1) Linux server has static (live) IP address, acting as masquerader/NAT
> for 192.168.0.0 internal nework
>
> 2) Win98 laptop connects to random local ISP, and connects to the above
> Linux server with PPTP
>
> 	...will the Win98 have one IP address, or two IP addresses?
>

> 	I can see it having both (a) a live ip address from ISP and (b)
> something like 192.168.0.7 from the NAT network, or just one of the above.
>
> 	I want to make sure the remote laptops will be able to
>
> o  browse internal (192.168.0.0) SMB shares
> o  Surf the web
> o  NOT create a bridge/hole whenever they use PPTP to connect
> o  (use VNC and some other crap)

it will have two IP addresses.  The VPN thing in Windows is created as a
separate INTERFACE (look in your network control panel - VPN Dial-Up
interface or something like that).  The IP on the VPN iface is the one
assigned by your PPTP server, and the one on the REAL dialup interface is
the one assigned by the random ISP.

the VPN client in windows will point the default route through the VPN IP
interface such that ALL packets will be routed through the tunnel to you.
So therefore, yes, browsing, surfing, etc will work (well, surfing will.
browsing shares requires you to set up WINS on your network).