[pptp-server] Browsing the network, Logging on to NT domain.

Shahid Mahmood smahmood at tekdigitel.com
Tue Jun 13 20:48:15 CDT 2000

At 06:23 AM 6/14/00 +0700, Vanja Hrustic wrote:
>Shahid Mahmood wrote:
> >
> > Hello all.
> > Please tell me what is stopping me from logging on to local NT domain and
> > browsing local shares when i connect using the poptop.
>
>Hi!
>
>I presume that you have turned on the 'Client for Windows Network' (or
>whatever it's called) in your VPN properties. If so, then you should be
>able to browse the network (assuming that there are no firewall rules
>that block NetBIOS traffic and similar).

Client for Windows is there in network properties thingy.
Firewall rules (on poptop server) are:
[root at linux-server /root]# ipchains -L
Chain input (policy ACCEPT):
Chain forward (policy ACCEPT):
target     prot opt     source                destination           ports
MASQ       all  ------  192.168.1.0/24       anywhere              n/a
Chain output (policy ACCEPT):

>Also, make sure that WINS server is specified (you can specify WINS in
>/etc/ppp/options, and it will be 'pushed' to Windows client).

WINS server is specified in /etc/ppp/options (as ms-wins 192.168.1.2) and
it pops up ok in winipcfg
Also c:/windows/lmhosts has ip address of all the NT machines (and thier
NETBIOS names).

Still cant login to NT domain.
While it says "Logging on to network" it pops up the dialog box for domain
login. After getting the username and passowrd,
it says "No domain controller is found to authenticate ..." and "some of
the network resources will not be available ..."

I DO see the linux smb (which is running on the same machine as poptop),
and another NT share that doens not require passord. but other drives are
not visible (becauz they need a valid user).