[pptp-server] Browsing the network, Logging on to NT domain.

Shahid Mahmood smahmood at tekdigitel.com
Tue Jun 13 20:59:39 CDT 2000

At 01:47 PM 6/13/00 -0700, Derek Simkowiak wrote:
>-> - I correctly get assigned the private IP address by the pppd of
>-> poptop server.
>
>         I have a question: so pppd is the daemon that assigns you an IP
>address?  It's been a long time since I worked with pppd... for some
>reason, I was under the assumption that the DHCP server inside the private
>network would pass out VPN IP Addresses.  I guess I need to RTFM again.

The IP is assigned by the poptop (in pptpd.conf file) and pssed to client
by pppd protocol.
I didn RTFM but i think its the way becuz 1) ip is assigned outside the
local DHCP range, and 2)
ip is assigned even if there is no DHCP.

>-> Here is what I dont have:
>->
>-> - Browsing capability on all NT machines
>
>         You need to use WINS.  "Network Neighborhood" browsing is
>dependent on the SMB equivalent of DNS, called WINS.

One of the NT is running WINS. I am using PC client.

>         If you are using Samba, there is an option to turn on WINS in the
>Samba server.  It is called "wins support = yes".  I don't know anything
>about turning it on in NT.
>
>         Once you have a WINS server, you need to point your remote Win9x
>workstation at that server.  There is an option under Control
>Panel->Network->TCP/IP->Properties->WINS Configuration->Enable WINS
>Resolution  where you specify your WINS server.
>Here is where I am confused: I know that DHCP can set the WINS
>server on a Win9x machine, but if the IP address is passed out by pppd,
>can pppd also provide a WINS server IP address?  Or must all the remote,
>VPN-using Win9x client manually type in the IP address of your WINS server
>(i.e., 192.168.0.6 or some other internal IP address)?

I pass the WINS ip to my pc client from /etc/ppp/options line :
ms-wins 192.168.1.2

>-> - Loggin on the local NT domain controller.
>
>         If you're using Samba, you must turn on NT Domain logins.  There
>is an option called "domain logons = yes" that you must set in smb.conf.
>Also, make sure that your client is configured correctly.  Again, I don't
>know how to do it under NT.

Client is PC. I dont have problem mounting SMB shares. It works smoothly.
It the NT stuff giving me PITA.

>         Under Control Panel->Network->Client for Microsoft
>Networks->Properties you must turn on "Log on to Windows NT Domain".  And
>make sure you domain is the same as on the Windows NT (or Samba) server!

Yup. done that.