[pptp-server] Semi-advanced Routing

Scott M. Stone sstone at taos.com
Tue Mar 21 11:37:35 CST 2000

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Thomas Koschate wrote:

> I've almost gotten everything in our VPN setup working, with just a couple
> of minor things to smooth out that I hope someone can advise me on.  At
> present, I have two private networks (172.16.0.0/24 and 192.168.10.0/24)
> connected via a tunnel.  The routing and permissions on each network are
> set up such at all machines on each network can see each other.  The
> gateway box 192.168.10.254 is set up as a PPTPD server, and users from the
> outside world can use PPTP to connect to the 192.168.10.0/24 network and
> see all the machines on the net.  If they _manually_ add an appropriate
> route ("route add 172.16.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.10.254"), they can
> also access the 172.16.0.0/24 network.
>
> The question is, is there a way of assigning that route as part of the PPTP
> login?  I'd rather not have those Windoze users have to do anything too
> complex, particularly since there will ultimately be a third private
> network involved, and I want them to be able to dial into any of the three
> nets, just in case one of them is down.

make sure the win95 clients have 'use default gateway on remote network'
checked in the dialup networking settings and it should work
automatically.  Make sure that you're using proxyARP on the pptpd server,
though, or the 172.16.0.0/24 machines won't have a route back.

Scott M. Stone, CCNA <sstone at taos.com>
UNIX Systems and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company