[pptp-server] Semi-advanced Routing

Thomas Koschate koschate at bigfoot.com
Wed Mar 22 10:00:49 CST 2000

On 2000-03-21 12:37:18, Scott M. Stone wrote:

>> The question is, is there a way of assigning that route as part of the
PPTP
>> login?  I'd rather not have those Windoze users have to do anything too
>> complex, particularly since there will ultimately be a third private
>> network involved, and I want them to be able to dial into any of the
three
>> nets, just in case one of them is down.
>
>make sure the win95 clients have 'use default gateway on remote network'
>checked in the dialup networking settings and it should work
>automatically.  Make sure that you're using proxyARP on the pptpd server,
>though, or the 172.16.0.0/24 machines won't have a route back.

Thanks for the hint.  This works fine on my NT4 laptop, but does have one
unfortunate side effect:  The laptop loses contact with the rest of the
internet.  The route that is set up pulls everything into the PPTP
interface.  I have no problem with the concept of internet traffic then
going through the server firewall again (although it does seem a little
redundant!), but the routing doesn't seem to be happening.  I thought it
might be an issue of ipchains rules, so I manually set some appropriate
rules, but this doesn't seem to have cured the issue.
Thomas Koschate
koschate at bigfoot.com

For PGP Key, see
http://keys.pgp.com:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF45280AD
"A committee is a cul-de-sac down which ideas are lured and then quietly
strangled."

     Sir Barnett Cocks