[pptp-server] ppp remote user

Gord Belsey gord at amador.ca
Fri May 5 10:28:56 CDT 2000

What Jean-serge is suggesting makes sense to me.  If you add routes on C for
all the networks A could potentially be on, you'll always be able to ping A
when it's connected to B.

A appears to be an Internet box.  Let's say that A can be assigned any
address in the 162.162.1.1 through 162.162.1.254.  If you add a route to C
like this:

route add -net 162.162.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw <B's ip address>

C will reach A through B. Therefore, you can ping to A, once you know it's
address.  As an added bonus if now or at some future time you'll have
multiple A's, that is, more than one device connecting to B and requireing
access to C, this route statement takes care of them as well.  I'm assuming
that B gives A it's address, and assigns addresses from a single subnet. If
it's possible for A to have an address from more than one subnet, you'll
need a route statement for each subnet, or a single broader statement.
Using my first example, let's say that A can be assigned any address in the
162.162.1.1 through 162.162.2.254

You can add 2 route statements covering 162.162.1.0 and 162.162.2.0:

route add -net 162.162.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw <B's ip address>
and
route add -net 162.162.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw <B's ip address>

Just keep in mind that the route statment should match the intended subnet.
So if the subnet were, say, 162.162.1.0/255.255.255.128, use that same mask
in the route statment. That should keep you from getting tripped up later,
say, if C needs to talk to the subnet 162.162.1.128/255.255.255.128 and that
subnet ISN'T connected to B.

Hopefully, this helps you with your situation.

Good luck

Gord Belsey