[pptp-server] PPTP without dialup

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Fri May 12 07:21:14 CDT 2000

Angus,

I have also seen this and I think it is a limitation of the Windows client.
The network neighborhood is a result of the browse list which is your LAN's.
However if you tried directly accessing a system (through Start/Run and
typing \\servername <file://\\servername> ) you should be able to get to
your server.

I think you can get around this by changing the workgroup setting in the
identification tab of network properties. Also change the NT domain in the
clieint for microsft network properties. Reboot, cancel the network login.
Then connect PPTP and you'll get a login to the remote network.

For NT you have to have to join the remote network then logout and login to
the remote network at the login prompt using dial-up networking. This is a
little bit trickier and I haven't done this myself.

John.