[pptp-server] This listserver is insane

Scott M. Stone sstone at foo3.com
Fri Oct 20 13:21:24 CDT 2000

On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, Avery Pennarun wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been trying for several days to unsubscribe from this mailing list.  I
> get this:

> The problem is, back when I subscribed to the list there seemed to be no
> requirement for a password.  I've tried several, including "pptp-server",
> just in case.  Nothing works.
>
> I would like to state, for the record, that listservers which require a
> password to do _anything_ are insane.  If you're worried about email
> forgeries, simply use subscribe and unsubscribe cookies like ezmlm and
> smartlist and several others.  If you're worried about man-in-the-middle
> attacks, you can't use a cleartext password.
>
> It is extremely important to make it VERY EASY for people to unsubscribe
> from mailing lists, or else the lists will get bombarded with stupid
> messages like this one.
>
> Thanks.  Hopefully the admin will read this and unsubscribe me... lest I
> be forever trapped on this list.

didn't you know, that mailing lists based on an insane concept (PPTP is
insane by any stretch of the imagination) also mutate themselves to also
be insane?

My consulting firm handles UNIX, Networking, and NT assignments.  As such,
we have a Windows-issues mailing list.  It's also insane.  The UNIX and
networking lists are normal, except when we have threads dealing with SCO,
NFS on Linux, or Bay Networks :)