[pptp-server] pptp without ppp

Richard E Blauvelt richard at blauvelt.com
Mon Sep 18 18:59:21 CDT 2000

I am no expert, but I think I can answer some of your
questions from experience.

Yes, pptp requires ppp. Although this seems to imply a
dial-up type of connection, pptp works well over IP
(although I've never been able to get encryption to work
reliably because of a pptp encryption bug with handling
out-of-order packets, but that's a different story).

For example, I set up a pptp server on a Linux server
which is connected to the Internet through a cheap
cable/DSL router which is connected to a DSL modem.
On the DSL router, I forwarded port 1723 to the Linux
server. The Linux server uses a private network address,
while the router uses the public IP address assigned by
the DSL provider.

To connect via pptp from a remote MS Windows machine,
I first connect to the Internet (dial-in, cable, DSL, or
whatever), and then I use the MS VPN adapter (part of
MS Dial-Up Networking) to connect to the IP address of
of the DSL router (which forwards it to the pptp server
on the Linux server).

Works great, except for the aforementioned problems with
encryption.

The DSL router is not really necessary, since you can have
Linux handle all the firewall functions.

Good luck!

Richard