[pptp-server] Newbie question: routing problem?

Jimmy Henson jhenson at connecterra.com
Mon Dec 10 12:14:40 CST 2001

Hi folks,

I've been able to get my Linux pptpd server up and running, thanks to the fine HOWTO document prepared by Mr. Spotswood.  But I have a strange problem, and my logs aren't providing any helpful clues.

My pptpd server is running behind a SMC Barricade firewall, and I've opened port 1723 to the server.  The firewall performs NATting, of course, and the pptpd server sits on the LAN.  With a Windows client (Win 2K and Win ME tested) on the WAN, I can connect to the pptpd server with no problem.  However, after I connect, I can't ping *anything* on the VPN -- not even the pptpd server to which I'm connected!  The pptpd server isn't running a firewall (e.g. netfilter/iptables), and from the pptpd server console, I can see (ping) the rest of my LAN.

As for the cause of my problem, I've considered several possibilities:
* GRE.  Is my firewall incapable of passing GRE?
* Mis-configured kernel.  I recompiled my kernel in order to get pptpd to work -- could I have left out an important module?
* Routing.  My pptpd server is running on a single NIC box.  Do I still need to worry about routing (e.g. do I need to run "routed" and/or enable ipv4 packet forwarding?)

I'm stumped.  Am I overlooking something incredibly basic??
Thanks for reading,
Jimmy