[pptp-server] SPEED

JOE RLDITTO at BRIGHT.NET
Tue Dec 11 08:05:19 CST 2001

more information the linux server i'm running has only one network card.  when running ifconfig i have 3 adapters eth0 lo and ppp0(when connected).  all have mtu's of 1500 except for the ppp connection which is set to whatever i set it to i've tried high mtu's and low mtu's to no avail.  when the connection is up i can ping to the ip address of the vpn server (ping 1.2.3.4 -f -l 1420, which is about as high as i can get it with out fragmentation) and get a decent response but when it comes to actually transferring data it's a dog, even with encryption disabled.  i even follwed another walk thru by tom eastep and changed my samba config file to closely match and i still have problems.  is their something i can do is  their andy more information you need to help me?

could the mtu's of the eth0 and ppp0 be conflicting? if i ping the router from the server's location the max mtu is 1478, could my linux box be sending units at 1500 buffering my ppp and forwarding them over my eth0 connection causeing fragmentation and thus causing poor performance?

please help

joe