[pptp-server] Solved: GRE: Bad checksum from pppd or Windows 720 errors

Lillian Kulhanek Lillian.Kulhanek at energy.on.ca
Tue Feb 6 14:37:58 CST 2001

We figured out the solution internally.  I was assigning the local and
remote ip addresses in pptpd.conf, and the vpn adapter on the windows client
was configured to have the addresses assigned by the server, which is
supposed to work.  But they weren't being assigned, and Error 720 would pop
up.

When I manually assigned the addresses in the vpn adapter properties,
everything worked, compression, encryption, browsing, life is grand.  I'm
using linux kernel 2.2.17 with pppd 2.3.11 and associated patches/diffs.

Here's the hitch:  For the sake of getting a vpn up, earlier on I installed
a 2.2.16 kernel with pptp and ppp rpms, I was still getting booted off, but
the local and remote addresses were being assigned, according to the logs.
Hmm.  Why then, but not now?

I'm investigating now why the addresses don't get assigned in pptpd.conf,
but if anyone sees something I've missed, I'd be glad to hear it.