[pptp-server] Server may ping client, client unable to ping s erver

Cowles, Steve Steve at SteveCowles.com
Fri Jun 8 11:07:26 CDT 2001

I always configure the ppp interface (local) to have the same address as the
ethernet interface of the PPTP server (not a range). Although its not a
requirement to be successful. Also, the remote address range should be
configured to have an unused IP range within the same network address of the
LAN if the proxyarp function is going to be successful in determining which
interface will answer arp requests on behalf of the PPTP client.

> ProxtArp intrigues me.  I have it added to the config file,
> but it there more i need to do.../me looks for man page!

When you connect to your PPTP server - do you see an entry in the log files
that states that "found interface ethx for proxy arp" ???

Also, checkout the following link for a description of how important the
proxyarp statement is with regards to VPN's.
http://www.infohiiway.com/pptp/proxyarp.html

Steve Cowles