[pptp-server] pptp and ADSL

Charlie Brady charlieb at e-smith.com
Tue May 22 13:03:30 CDT 2001

On Tue, 22 May 2001, Krebs Peter wrote:

> It seams to work but sometimes i get an error:
>
> GRE: Discarding out of order packet

IP makes no promises about delivering packets in a defined order. But PPTP
cares about packet ordering. [Or at least MPPE encryption does.]

> Can the reason for this be that ADSL uses tunneling.

I wouldn't think so.

> The ADSL provider just say we do not support VPN.

They don't have to. They support IP, and you run the VPN over IP.

PPTP responds badly to dropped packets, which makes it a bad protocol to
run over a WAN.

  Charlie Brady                         charlieb at e-smith.com
  http://www.e-smith.org (development)  http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)
  Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739
  e-smith, inc. 1500-150 Metcalfe St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1P1 Canada