[pptp-server] strange problem...

Mikael Lönnroth mikael.lonnroth at advancevpn.com
Fri Jan 4 13:54:47 CST 2002

Ah ok, I found a problem that didn't even exist :)

By default, I think, Windows 98 will route ALL your traffic through the PPTP
connection. That is, when you try to browse the Internet (and before that,
resolve some DNS address to an IP address), all these actions are routed

    *your computer* >> *VPN server* >> *Internet*

    and not

    *your computer* >> *Internet*

There are two solutions to this problem (I hope I got the problem right this
time):

1) Uncheck the "Use default gateway on remote network" checkbox. Should be
somewhere close to the TCP/IP settings on your VPN Dial-up properties.

or

2) Allow your VPN server to forward (and probably masquerade) your traffic
also to the public Internet (also, company firewalls should allow this)

If you use option 1, you might have to manually insert a routing entry for
your company network using the "route" tool.

Regards,
Mikael Lönnroth
www.advancevpn.com