[pptp-server] PPTP, and windows PDCs

Steve Host shost at intellimec.com
Fri Jan 18 09:12:26 CST 2002

Actually, I have a solution to this problem:

Assuming you have the following:

[ remote user ] ----- ( internet ) --- (Poptop server/gateway) --- PDC

Say PDC is 192.168.1.5, and [remote user] correctly gets into your LAN with
address 192.168.2.10

One solution is to explicitly define the PDC's location in your lmhosts file
on Windows based clients. You set it up similar to the following:

192.168.1.5 PDC   #PRE    #DOM:DOMAIN
192.168.1.5 "DOMAIN        \0x1b" #PRE

PDC is the name of your Primary Domain Controller
DOMAIN is the name of your NT domain

Be careful, the number of charachters including spaces between the quotes in
Line 2 is very sensitive. Here are two links that will explain this in more
detail:

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBF/TIP2900/rh2988.htm

Similarly, Q262655 on Microsoft's knowledge base.

I've had this working with remote login scripts, seems to work with no
problems thus far.

Hope this is helpful for you

- Steve