[pptp-server] PoPToP w/MPPE vs Macintosh OSX

Frank Cusack fcusack at fcusack.com
Mon Jun 24 03:01:00 CDT 2002

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 02:57:55PM +0800, Rob Marlow wrote:
> My colleagues and I have been having quite a lot of trouble attempting
> to get oup PoPToP PPTP server using MPPE and MS-CHAPv2 to work with a
> suitable Macintosh client. I've attempted to use DigiTunnel and PiePants
> both to no avail. The problem appears to lie in some problem with
> authentication challenges. Basically, both clients ignore these
> challenges and the exchange of CCP auth challenges eventually dies out
> and LCP termreq's.
>
> I know many people have been having this trouble so no doubt it's been
> looked into. Can anybody tell me where this problem lies and whether
> it's anywhere near being fixed?

This is the first I've heard of any such problems, so I would not say
it's being looked into on the pptpd side.  I have to guess at this
point that the problem is with the mac clients.  Have you gotten either
to work against a MS RRAS server that only accepts MS-CHAPv2?  Does
it work without MPPE?

Can you add 'debug' and 'dump' to the ppp options file and send a log?

/fc