[pptp-server] pptpd.init??

Allan Clark allanc at caldera.com
Wed Mar 13 15:04:35 CST 2002

Bo;

I'm the guy that originally wrote the inittab stuff (originally on
redhat).  I'm a big proponent of inittab, and hate the
/etc/rc.d/blah/blah fire-and-forget scripts.

> I didn't find a pptpd.init file anywhere and a "ps -auwx" shows
> "/usr/sbin/pptpd -f" in the list....right now my pptpd is getting run by
> inittab but there were some instructions on #ing that entry in innittab
> and making it run as a daemon by modifying the pptpd.init file but I
> don't see that file anywhere.

The changes are made directly into the inittab as opposed to changing a
file that would get read into or incorporated into /etc/inittab... I
tihnk I was using a RH-6.2 to do this, which didn't include directories
at the time.

> Basically I need pptpd to restart itself in event something closes it down.

init will restart pptpd if it stops.  Plain and simple.  If you're not
sure, kill it, and watch it come back.

Allan